Restored Domus Tiberiana to reopen to visitors after almost 50 years.
The newly-restored Domus Tiberiana, one of the main imperial palaces on Rome’s Palatine Hill, will reopen to the public on 21 September, the Colosseum archaeological park has announced.
The ancient building, whose façade is characterised by large arches overlooking the Roman Forum, is located in the north-western area of the Palatine Hill, in an area located between the Temple of Magna Mater and the slopes of the Forum.
“The grandiose imperial residence, covering approximately four hectares on the Palatine Hill, overlooks the valley of the Roman Forum with mighty arches on several levels, an iconic image of this corner of the ancient city”, Parco archeologico del Colosseo wrote on Facebook on Saturday night.
Built as a sumptuous palace by the second Roman emperor Tiberius, who reigned from 14 to 37 AD and was succeeded by Caligula, part of the building was subsequently incorporated into Nero’s Domus Transitoria.
In December 2020, Parco archeologico del Colosseo director Alfonsina Russo told Wanted in Rome that the works to restore and protect the Domus Tiberiana complex were carried out “with the scientific contribution of Italian and foreign universities and important names in the Italian technical-scientific world.”
Describing the Domus Tiberiana as “the first of the imperial palaces conceived in an organic and monumental way,” Russo said the new itinerary would include previously inaccessible rooms in areas of the site untouched by “either of the excavations in the late 19th century and early 20th century.”
Russo said studies were also conducted into the reasons, “including the major archaeological excavations of the early 20th century, that triggered the serious sliding of the walls towards the Roman Forum that from the 1970s was one of the most serious problems for the safety of the monument.”
As reported in January 2021, the restoration works uncovered surprises including a family grave, thought to be from the 13th century, containing the remains of “seven people perhaps killed by an epidemic or a traumatic event”.
There are traces of activity from the 18th century, believed to be related to the Horti Farnesiani, while archaeologists also unearthed a hoard of coins from the seventh century and a “still intact oil lamp” from the fourth century, found in a niche of a wall.
Visitors will reportedly be presented with an itinerary related to the activities of the imperial court through three themes: daily life, trade and economy, and religion.
The new visit, which is expected to begin from the Clivio della Vittoria and will include a display of ancient discoveries, is to be unveiled in the coming days.
Photo Parco archeologico del Colosseo